The Denton Community Band has been in existence since 1976 with Carol Lynn Mizell as its Conductor since 1978. Over the years, the organization has performed numerous concerts in Denton and the surrounding area for such events as:
- Denton Festival of Carols
- Denton Festival Foundation Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony
- Starrise Series (co-sponsored by the Denton Parks & Recreation Department)
- Goblins Galore (annual Children's Concert co-sponsored by the Denton Parks & Recreation Department)
- Denton Arts & Jazz Festival
- Peterbilt Motors Children's Clinic Fireworks Show
- Dedication of the All-War Memorial at the Courthouse on the Square
- Dedication of the Flag Pole at the I.O.O.F. Cemetery
- CARA (Community Arts Recognition Award - Greater Denton Arts Council)
- Cumberland Presbyterian Children's Home Lawn Party
- worship services in area churches
The DCB was a part of the entertainment for Senator Jane Nelson's Governor for a Day Celebration on the Capitol steps in Austin in April, 2004.
The DCB's annual Santa Serenades travel throughout the Denton area with Christmas Carols for the person/family/party of the donor's choice.
The DCB has collaborated for concerts with:
- The Texas Woman's University Flute Choir
- The Denton Community Chorus
- The Denton Civic Ballet
- Handbell Choirs from local churches
- The Middle School Bands from Strickland MS, Calhoun MS, and McMath MS
- The Drama Department of Strickland MS
- The Trumpet Choir from the University of North Texas
- The Liz Gallego School of Dance
- Concert Bells of Fort Worth
In 1986, the DCB was named the Official Sesquicentennial Band of Denton County.
Membership in the band is open to adult players in the community and surrounding area.
Last updated: Friday September 9, 2022 8:00 AM
By: Carol Lynn Mizell